CV "Spirituality"



Some "CV" ago, I think I talk about this theme; anyway, I love to have the opportunity to talk again. I am a housewife, it has been a choice since I decided to found a family, more than thirty years ago. 
It has been a great change for a girl who backpacked  the world in the 70's. I discovered the pains and joys of housekeeping, and the joys of motherhood despite the solitude with a baby without a mother or siblings nearby to help. I hated (and still do) go to the supermaket, 
But still today, when I am at the sink, after I have feed my family, with all the dishes waiting to be washed, that I take my time to meditate and to think about life and the fate or whatever brought me here and about the time that has passed by so in a hurry.
 A couple of years ago, a person asked me why I do not have a dishwasher. I told her. And she sent me a book and a note with this words:

"To my mind, the idea that doing the dishes is unpleasant can occur only when you are not doing them. Once you are standing in front of the sink with your sleeves rolled up and your hands in warm water, it really is not so bad. I enjoy taking my time with each dish, being fully aware of the dish, the water, and each movement of my hands. I know that if I hurry in order to go and have a cup of tea, the time will be unpleasant and not worth living. That would be a pity, for each minute, each second of life is a miracle. The dishes themselves and the fact that I am here washing them are miracles! Each bowl I wash, each poem I compose, each time I invite a bell to sound is a miracle, each has exactly the same value. One day, while washing a bowl, I felt that my movements were as sacred and respectful as bathing a newborn Buddha. If he were to read this, that newborn Buddha would certainly be happy for me, and not at all insulted at being compared with a bowl". ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Yes. Even washing the dishes could be zen. Or maybe obeys to the law of my karma? 






Comments

JuanitaTortilla said…
So much depth to something to what appears to be mundane!

I enjoy washing dishes, due to the part of seeing things get cleaned!
giuliana said…
beautiful thoughts, even if I hate washing dishes. but there's a reason why I don't like it, i have no time to do it with calm, in relax. And I use a dishwasher!
I just tell you this amusing true story: one of my mother's aunts told "I am playing piano" while she was washing dishes, after the meal, when his sister called her on the phone.... just a joke, a more elegant task for a lady, a noblewoman!
Juana said…
Giuliana, in your family women have so much sense of humor! maybe this why they seems so young... :)
giuliana said…
oh thank you!
Actually, laughing is a very good facial gymnastics and "detoxification" when someone hates fitness and healthy eating more than ironing, making beds, mopping floors etc!! (this is my particular case)
giuliana said…
http://costanzamiriano.com/2012/11/20/altro-che-fiori/#more-5862

I just read this post on this blog and... penultimate paragraph, i don't add more!!


Popular Posts